| Pretty good Haul! Some time in the late Winter we signed up for a Farm Share--we paid about 400 dollars and then for 16 weeks we receive organically grown local vegetables during the Summer and Fall. It has been fun trying new things and learning new recipes. Thumbs up for the fresh basil---makes great pesto, the oven roasted corn on the cob was great, summer squash soup dee-lish, beets were ok. The fresh parsley looked nice, but I don't really know what to do with it. Sam found out that he loves zucchini cooked into bread. We loved the fresh peas, while the mustard greens gets a big thumbs down. We tried out patty pans, a little squatty squash much tasting like a summer squash. Thanks to the farm share supplementing our own garden, we have been able to can lots of salsa and now 20 quarts of Summer Squash Soup. We were lucky to have such a sunny warm summer--the plants just grew and grew. Maybe sometime, when we have more time on our hands, we can sign up for the work share, and actually go and work at the farm and learn all the deep dark secrets of growing good veggies! |
I'm jealous. I would love a little piece of land to grow delicious things on here. I'll have to look into it more for next summer and fall, but I think all the plots are kinda far from us. Any my mouth was just watering reading about all the good things you've made! Jill
ReplyDeleteSummer Squash Soup???? 20 quarts???? Wow...it must be good! I would love the recipe!
ReplyDeleteSummer Squash Soup:
ReplyDelete4 qts. summer squash
4 qts. chicken broth/stock/boullion cubes
4 stalks celery
4 potatos
2 large onions
6 large carrots
1/3 cup butter
salt and pepper
chop everything, boil then simmer until soft, about 30 minutes. You will love the yellow/orange color and hopefully the kids will enjoy this recipe as much as mine do!